View Profile Emrox

56 Movie Reviews

Reviewing this bc you told me to on twitter and now I feel obligated!

You've got a lot of good stuff here but I feel like there's also a lot of filler, like at 0:17, 1:56, 2:03 and that part where it's just a blue ass stick figure walking. In the other responses you said you were trying to show off some of the unreleased stuff you did too so I guess you're aware of this already. But I concur - if you're showing this to studios you're gonna want to make sure it's all killer all the way through!

A lot of the clips use a very similar stylization where the dudes are just one color w/ no clothes. That stuff is fine but you want to make sure people don't think you're just doing that as a crutch. I know ur probably not doing it as a cheat but employers won't know that, so get some more guys with clothes in there!

^ that's all to do with the presentation though, and I'm assuming you wanted me to review the content. Well idk it all looks decent to me. I think your animation ability is stronger than your art ability, so if you really want to focus your efforts toward getting a job I'd say work on that. That was actually a pretty big problem with me for a while, but then I started doing more pencil and paper stuff and it rekindled my interest in that side of things. Find some comic artists you like and try to steal their style. As long as no one's done it in motion it's fair game! Also, if you can pull off really detail-heavy stuff in motion it looks really impressive for some reason.

Hope that helps. Keep it up!

Yusuf responds:

I'm definitely gonna be making a 1 minute studio reel when the time comes, cutting out all that practice stuff.

Yeah, the one color guy thing is a problem at this point (that I realized long before editing this reel), just because on that day I can't be bothered to put in detail and just want to focus on the animation - and then I end up animating entire sequences like that. I have no problem with drawing clothes and stuff, it's just the way a lot of my animating has gone.

My animation is absolutely my strong suit, and I know I have to put in some serious time to develop my art ability and general style. I just need to draw more, I've really fallen out of it in recent years - I guess I have the same problem you once had. Pencil and paper is a great suggestion because I find myself putting in a lot more effort and care when I have to use a physical medium, especially when doing life drawing, which has helped train me somewhat in drawing faster with more confidence and energy - I just need to get more used to it and start doing it all the time.

I always hated having to do the detailed stuff at school, cos something that would take someone else a couple hours would take me 10. It would come out looking good, but I'd end up hating my life and everything about it! Hopefully animating detailed stuff will be different, what with all the digital crutches.

Thanks a lot for your time man! I'll be keeping all your words in mind.

hahaha "on point"

fools collide!

38 Game Reviews

gotta love that shove'

I beat it

Hey so the game's pretty solid and the message is cool.

The one thing that bothered me though, and the only reason I'm writing this review, is that the whole story is directly told to the player, when I could have just as easily "felt" it through the increasing restrictions on the controls. I feel like the gameplay was too restricted to the story (understandably so, as it was designed to create a sense of empathy for ALS patients), but there are probably more game-design-specific ways you could have done the same thing.

If I had designed this game, I would have probably made the gameplay a little less linear. Instead of having one track the player follows, which magically adapts to the player's inabilities, I would have made one short level that the player has to traverse over and over, maybe getting another carton of milk every week. Each time, it would be a little bit harder to jump around, forcing the player to find new ways to cross the terrain each time. By the end, crossing the one level would be really difficult and time-consuming. I don't know much about ALS, but I feel like that would be a better comparison.

In the end, empathy is an emotion games can create better than any other medium, and I guess that's why I felt it so unnecessary to see text on the screen telling me what was going on. It really shouldn't bother me, and I guess it doesn't really detract from the gameplay, but it does kinda seem like you're using the text as a crutch to tell the story, when the game is perfectly capable of doing that on its own.

17 Audio Reviews

Suddle's first verse was a bit generic, but by the look of things he didn't have much info on Willizard to work with. What's unfortunate, though, is that he spent the first thirty seconds before his verse dissing his opponent's mic quality. When you have that little material to work with, you think you'd save a few disses for the bars that count. Instead, he made gay jokes.
Williz hit pretty much all of those points in his verse, so good on him. Couldn't have said it better myself. But despite this, the second Suddle's next verse starts he goes right back to making the homo quips Williz just called him out on. Now I like a good fag gag just as much as the next guy, but come on.

Willizard to advance

Haha! I just now found out you uploaded this. How many people did I get to harass you about uploading the music file?

tilman responds:

not enough :D

Damn, this was a tough decision. I had to listen three times to come up with a vote

I wasn't really impressed with Emergency's last few battles, but I think he really stepped up his game this time around. Both had solid blows and excellent punchlines, and in terms of flow, I'd call it a tie.

My vote, however, goes to Scuare. In almost every aspect of this battle, the two were equally matched. The only category with one clear winner was the rebuttal, which Scuare had, hands down. Scuare only had one chance to rebut, and yet he was able to flip several lines flawlessly. Emergency's flips weren't as smooth, and at one point he re-flipped a line, which in my book isn't a great strategy unless you have something REALLY solid.

Great job to the both of you!

10 Art Reviews

i dont get it

BillPremo responds:

I will fucking kill you.

Greatest saga in webcomic HISTORY.

oh boy

oh boy is that plenty of pentagons

turtleco responds:

lotta 'gons for all da good boys and girls

DUDE peck 3 is COMING just hold on!!!

22, Male